Gutters are vital to a home’s functioning, but they can easily become clogged with debris and leaves, particularly during the fall. The more you prevent gutter clogs now, the less you’ll have to do later. Consider these five tips for keeping your gutters in Ann Arbor MI debris-free during the fall.
1. Cut Away Overhanging Branches
The trees closet to your house are going to wreak the most havoc on your roof. To limit the amount of leaves that cause gutter clog, cut away any branches that hang over the home. This could also protect your home from other damage, like scraping or broken branches going through windows during a storm.
2. Install Gutter Covers
Gutter covers and leaf guards have a host of benefits, including managing water flow so that it’s directed away from the home, protecting your home’s foundation, protecting the property’s landscaping, preventing overflow, preventing animals from nesting, and preventing mold. There are three main types of gutter covers:
• Flexible Mesh: You can get 20-foot rolls of flexible mesh and then cut it to fit each gutter. This is the least expensive option, but it’s also the most difficult to setup, as the mesh has to be cut to the exact right size in order to fit and work properly.
• Solid Guards: These gutter covers offer a lot of protection and they’re also very easy to install.
• Solid Screens: Solid screens will either snap in to protect the gutter or be placed on top of the gutter. Unfortunately, some solid screens don’t attach well, depending on your gutter type.
3. Use a Gutterpillar
If you don’t like any of the screen options, consider getting a Gutterpillar. This type of gutter guard keeps debris and leaves out of the way. It looks like a brush and it slips into the gutter. The bristles let water pass through but they keep debris away. When it’s time for a gutter cleaning, you just have to take out the Gutterpillar and rinse it off with a hose.
4. Give Them a Final Flush
Once you’ve cleared any debris and leaves, complete the gutter cleaning with a final flush of water. This’ll wash away any remaining dirt and debris. You’ll also make sure that water is flowing as it should. Keep in mind that if you have a very tall house or are unsteady on your feet, you may want to hire a professional gutter cleaner in Ann Arbor MI.
5. Stick to a Maintenance Schedule
Make it a point to clean the gutters at least once a year. If there are a lot of trees around your home, you’ll want to clean them more frequently, at least every six months. Some people schedule gutter maintenance every three months to make sure a buildup doesn’t get out of control. Also, always make sure to check them following a storm.
Don’t wait until it’s too late to think about gutter cleaning! You could face leaks, holes and broken attachments if you put it off too long.
Get your yard looking its absolute best with custom landscaping solutions from Twin Oaks. Find us online at http://twinoakslandscape.biz/, visit us in Ann Arbor, MI at 4100 South Maple Road, or call us at (734) 213-6911.